Monday 4 January 2016

Making 2016 work for you

We're now into the swing of 2016 and it's usual for people to make plans and aims for the year. Have you made any? Did you start them on the 1st of January? Have any already fallen by the wayside? Have you already started to think 'I should be...'?

Remember that everything doesn't have to be started on the 1st of January. If you feel a need for a significant date, look in your diary and choose one - it may be Chinese New Year, it may be your birthday, the first day of spring, the page your diary opens to. However you choose the date is absolutely fine.

The important thing is to show yourself some self love. If you didn't start on the 1st there was probably a good reason and the timing wasn't quite right. You are in control and you can choose whenever you start.

Throughout December I usually find myself reflecting on the past year and making plans for the new year, but I don't set dates. I know what I want to achieve but I'll wait for inspiration to hit - to start everything on one day is likely to send me to overwhelm and I won't appreciate the new opportunities coming to me or I'll resent what I'm trying to achieve.

So my aims for this year? The last few years have been intense, so I'm taking things a little easier. My youngest son started school in September and since then I've been regularly meditating and practising mindfulness - and I'm already practising these habits in 2016. I was also doing a small amount of yoga each day for several months, but as Christmas approached it fell by the wayside. I am refusing to think 'I should' and know I'll get back to it when it's the right time. This year I'm also planning to get to a target weight I've been ignoring, get on my bike more than last year and try a few social activities at times through the year. I'm not going to worry about them at the moment, as I'm coming to grips with easing myself back into the routine of school and work.

Life can be serious sometimes, so don't be hard on yourself and plan some fun things which don't have to be done by a deadline. There are no right or wrong answers and you are entitled to change the goalposts if they don't suit you. May 2016 give you wonderful opportunities throughout the year and whatever your choices this year, may they be ones that support and give you happiness.


Louise is an holistic therapist who owns Therapy Centre, Bristol BS14 9HB, a clinic offering a range of holistic and beauty therapies. Louise offers reflexology, aromatherapy, aromatology, holistic massage, Indian head massage, reiki, baby massage and story massage. She is a mum of two boys and when she is not working she enjoys getting outdoors with her family. For further information about Louise you can visit her website louise-morgan.co.uk
The therapy centre website is kinsaletherapycentre.co.uk, the contact number is 01275 217160