Monday 12 March 2012

Birthday thoughts

What is it about March? Or more the point, the 9 1/2 months before March? It seems there's loads of women giving birth at the moment! I can't criticise though, because I have two children born in March - I also couldnt tell you what the relevance of the mid year was either...This week sees my big little boy turn 5 and I'm not quite sure where the time went.

People always say your children are different, but I automatically assumed my second child was sure to be Damien, because my first actually pretty good. Well, it turned out my second child is pretty different, but only because somehow he's got a bit more of a mischevious nature to him, but you know what, he's actually also pretty good (maybe I should wait until he's walking properly & talking before I cast judgements, but I think we're going to be ok).

So, as a mum of two what have I learnt? If you're going to buy a good present, my best, biggest piece of advice is to buy a Mamas & Papas teddy. My first had a Monty Monkey (which is still his best teddy & was chosen by him). When my second son was born, he was given Percy Pony as a present from his big brother. The funny thing is, I've caught him putting this teddy over his head, chewing the ear (Monty's tail got chewed a long time ago) & generally throwing him around in the same affectionate way. What is the reason? I really dont have a clue, all I know is that both of my kids seem to love these things!

I've also learnt there's no point comparing your children. Each do things at different times & if you're like me, you've probably forgotten half of the things your child did at what age anyway. Absolutely every child is unique and we should always remember that.

So, as my eldest turns five & my youngest is about to turn one, I'm wiping my eyes & yet again wondering where the years have gone. As someone who was never very maternal I'm actually very grateful to my children for being pretty laid back & not being whiny and annoying very often....So, if my eldest son ever reads this one, Happy Birthday sweet, & if the younger one ever does: with only 11 days (& a few years) difference, Happy Birthday to you too sweet!